Topic: Zoom, Fit All

Congratulations for Graph. I teach physics in a High school and I use it from time to time.
I look forward to see antialiasing in the next version.
Sometimes I  have a problem with Zoom, Fit all.
For example, I have y=sin(x) from 0 to 4pi and cos(x) from 0 to 4pi  . Since the range (0 to 4pi) is the same for both functions, the Zoom, Fit all works fine. When I change the range to the function, cos(x) to be from 2pi to 4pi, the Zoom Fit all, does not work.  It does not fit all the graph elements. I found a temporary solution. I move the cox(x) function to be the first one in the list. Then the fit all works. I Thing that this is a bug. Is it?
Thank you very much for your time.

Post's attachments

Attachment icon test_graph.grf 737 b, 544 downloads since 2013-12-18 

Re: Zoom, Fit All

That is clearly a bug. I will ensure that it is fixed in the next beta version.

Antialiasing should work for functions in the current beta version. I am still working on it for relations.

Thank you for your confirmation.

Graph is much much better than many other free or commercial software that I have used. It is powerfull, simple, very logical user interface e.tc. But I think that still a lot of work has to be done to improve image quality of the graph elements. Perhaps antialiasing is not enough. I am not an expert and I don’t know what other techniques must be implemented. Keep up the good work.

Can you clarify what is wrong with the image quality? I don't see it, so it is difficult to change.

Ivan thank you for your answer.
I took a screen shot from the Graph (image1)  and another one (image 2) from another online application.
The lines in image 2 are much more "smooth" than image 1.
Do you agree?
Thank you for your time.

Post's attachments

Image 1.jpg, 87.94 kb, 481 x 583
Image 1.jpg 87.94 kb, 566 downloads since 2013-12-21 

Image 2.jpg, 40.94 kb, 479 x 614
Image 2.jpg 40.94 kb, 581 downloads since 2013-12-21 

6 (edited by benice 2013-12-22 05:46:23)

elepa wrote:

..... I don’t know what other techniques must be implemented.

I usually save the plot as an image with a larger custom size (spiral_2400x2400.png),
and then resize the image down to a smaller size (spiral_600x600.png) using Gimp.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd371/benice_chen/five_infinite_families_of_moons_zpsd5adff59.gif

The above animation consists of 8 frames. All frame images are made using Graph.

Post's attachments

Attachment icon spiral_2400x2400.png 32.35 kb, 308 downloads since 2013-12-22 

spiral_600x600.png, 33.65 kb, 600 x 600
spiral_600x600.png 33.65 kb, 631 downloads since 2013-12-22 

1. Benice thank you for that very usefull trick. I will use it to embed graphs in my documents.
2. It would be nice if Graph did that "automatically" so to avoid using third party software, save time and also having in mind less advanced users.
3. By the way (Ivan), I thing that in the "Save as image", "options" a "keep aspect ratio" check box would be very usefull.
4. Benice, as I mentioned before, the method that you suggest, is a nice solution if you want to embed the graph image in a document but it can not be applied if you are teaching in a class with a video projector and using graph in real time.
5. I liked your blog and I will put a link to my site.

I see your point. I will try to find a way to make it more smooth.

The default range for parametric functions are -10 to 10. For functions that repeat on top of themself, it might help to change the range, usually to 0 to 2pi, so they don't repeat.

I just noticed that reducing the steps from 1000 to 100 seems to make the function more smooth, though you may also loose some details.

I will consider adding a keep aspect ratio possibility when saving images.

Ivan Johansen wrote:

I see your point. I will try to find a way to make it more smooth.

I will consider adding a keep aspect ratio possibility when saving images.

I am looking forward to.

You are right about the step 100. It is a little better.