1 (edited by wrygrass 2011-03-21 22:33:06)

Topic: bug?

Best graph program I have found! smile  While I was looking through an old calc book and tried to answer the question lim as x approaches 0 of  f(x) = (1/x)(Sin(pi/x)).  The graph was great but as you zoom in (closer to 0) it starts to add more zeroes on the x axis.  The question is, what is the minimum number you can enter before the program converts it to zero? 

Also it came up with a value other than zero for Sin(pi/.01) when I calculated a table for it.  Perhaps this too has to do with the smallness of the number?  Harry

Re: bug?

It is a very difficult function to plot you have found. Though Graph in general try to avoid rounding I think 10^-14 is around the limit for what Graph can handle. But it might depend on the situation.

The reason you get a number like -1.2246E-14 instead of zero for sin(pi/.01) is that the processor calculates with a limited number of decimals and it is apparently the result the processor gives for sin(100pi).

Re: bug?

Thanks for you quick answers.  Your program is still the best and I couldn't beat the price.  Harry