1 (edited by ehofehof 2010-09-11 15:37:44)

Topic: Uncaught Exception, and some info/questions

[exception text will be (nearly) last between "===" and "---"]

(0) OUTSTANDING program!

(1)  Graph Help is unavailable post windoz XP. "WinHlp32.exe" is not included in windoz newer than XP. MS is upfront that it "does not conform" to "new" windoz specs and intends to force programmers to switch to the newer system, whatever that may be.-/
(1a) WinHlp32.exe is available:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917607, see also Windows Help program (WinHlp32.exe) article, Windows6.0-KB917607-x86.msu
(1b) -and requires "genuine" windoz validation to download which repeatedly crashed for me although I was able to get MS Support to send the MSU file attached to an email. (Very slow to install in Vista, but it works, and I can now access the Graph help system.) -Watch out for pirate/trojan sites claiming to offer MS-ware - I almost got nailed.

(2) I want to change the "default" line endpoints and line style. I cannot find where those parameters are stored. (I want diamond interim-points and long dash-lines between the ordered pairs I import.)

(3) Can Graph be executed from the DOS (or TC) command line? In particular are there switches that can be used to twiddle the settings and specify files to import ?
(3a) Or perhaps a script or macro language that (filename) can be specified on the command line. (ala: VDE.com if you go back that far;-)

thanks for an OUTSTANDING program,

Don H4.

===
UNCAUGHT EXCEPTION
Version: 4.3.0.384
Date: 09/07/2010 17:13:57
Exception: EAccessViolation
Message: Access violation at address 00474B9E in module 'Graph.exe'. Read of address 00000105
ExceptAddr: 0x474B9E
SenderClass: TTntMainMenu
SenderName: MainMenu
---
I believe this occurred as a result of a very small window and dense axes, and specification of ">" to designate interim points which appeared far over-size. It only occurred w/ ">" and was repeatable.

endend

Re: Uncaught Exception, and some info/questions

(1) Graph 4.4 will have a new help file that works with the newer versions of Windows. You can find it in the beta version or online at http://www.padowan.dk/graph/Documentation.php

(2) If you refer to import of point series from csv files then the default marker style and line style cannot currently be changed. I will try to improve that

(3) The only thing you can do from the command line is to load a grf file.

(3a) The beta version of Graph 4.4 supports plugins written in Python and Python commands through a command line interpreter. Unfortunately there are not much documentation on it yet, but I am working on that.

Thanks for notifying me about the Access Violation. I will look into it. Fortunately I think it has already been fixed.

Ivan Johansen wrote:

(1) Graph 4.4 will have a new help file that works with the newer versions of Windows. You can find it in the beta version or online at http://www.padowan.dk/graph/Documentation.php

(2) If you refer to import of point series from csv files then the default marker style and line style cannot currently be changed. I will try to improve that

(3) The only thing you can do from the command line is to load a grf file.

(3a) The beta version of Graph 4.4 supports plugins written in Python and Python commands through a command line interpreter. Unfortunately there are not much documentation on it yet, but I am working on that.

Thanks for notifying me about the Access Violation. I will look into it. Fortunately I think it has already been fixed.

I will be looking into Python, but actually I don't think it is necessary!

At first I was going to try input redirection, but it's been a while since I fooled w/ keycodes or MASM ...

So I started looking to see how much of the Graph parameterizing I could do via Rex Conn/JPSoft's DOS superset "Take Command", and it turned out ALL of it, needing only 5 variables to supply input-filename, limits, and Y-axis heading.

I suppose I could have done it very laboriously via environment variables, but instead I use a 17-line BASIC pgm to build the following file for input to KEYSTACK:

[
/w17 alt-f/w2 "i"/w2 "p"/w5 "q:\BP03d-G.csv"/w4 enter/w5 ctrl-A/w3 tab/w2 "31.5"/w5 ctrl-tab/w2 "96.8"/w4 tab/w2 "99.7"/w5 alt-b/w2 alt-b/w2 tab/w2 "March(03d) 2010 BP03G.jpg"/w7 enter/w7 down [6]/w2 alt-u/w4 "e"/w2 alt-s/w2 down [2]/w2 alt-t/w2 down/w2 enter/w5 ctrl-i/w10 alt-f4/w2 "n"
]

[Graph invoked as:
keystack/r %vdisk\BP%xx-K.txt
"C:\My Program Files\Graph\Graph.exe" graph00.grf
]

-which entirely automates creation of the attached graph-file which it passes via the clipboard to MSPaint. (It seems Paint saves the same JPG in 10% less disk space, and also simplifies the busy-work of renaming it, etc:)

[Paint invoked as:
keystack/w15 ctrl-v/w7 alt-f/w1 "a"/w11 "BP%s3%G"/w2 enter/w15 alt-f4
C:\WINDOWS\System32\mspaint.exe
]

I suggest that instead of adding another language, you just add the option of accepting an auxiliary file from which Graph itself retrieves the already-known key-name/commands.
(It was a PITA guessing what wait-times ["/wnn"] are necessary between which KEYSTACKed commands, but that problem goes away if Graph itself is reading the command file. Also it was a PITA forcing all that data into one logical line for Keystack, which would also go away if Graph itself is doing the reading.)

Overall it works superbly!

Don H4

endend

Post's attachments

BP03G.jpg, 81.59 kb, 637 x 426
BP03G.jpg 81.59 kb, 539 downloads since 2010-09-12 

oops.JPG, 22.55 kb, 452 x 149
oops.JPG 22.55 kb, 559 downloads since 2010-09-12 

Well, I am not going to implement another scripting language. I just implemented one. It also looks less useful. But I am glad you could make it work.