Topic: Logistic trendline

Is it possible to make a logistic trendline?

Re: Logistic trendline

I am a little unsure what you want. As far as I know a logistic function always have the formula f(x)=1/(1+e^-x). But if you change it a little you can for example create f(x)=$a/($b+e^-x) as a model for a custom trendline.

I have a problem with this. I have tried to put in the function f(x)=$a/(1+$b*exp(-$c*x)), (which is the form our curriculum applies for the logistic model), but I only get f(x) = 1/(1+e^-x) as result.

It is most likely because that is the best result Graph can find, but I can check what happens if you post your data points.

I used the following datapoints, picked from an example in our book:
x    y
0    10
10    18
20    38
30    64
40    90
50    110
60    118

I also tried to change the constants, but it didn't affect the result, unless I chose $a or $c=0, then it wouldn't find any result.

It looks like the default guess of $a=1, $b=1, $c=1 seems to be too far away from the points for Graph to use it. If you change the guess to $a=100, $b=10, $c=1 it seems to work.

I hope to improve this in the future so Graph can provide the initial guess.

Thanks, good to know that it actually works. But it would be nice if you could implement an error message when R^2>1, and ask the user to change the initial values to obtain a more reliable result. It's better to get no result than getting wrong result...

I will consider it. But sometimes it is difficult to determine the difference between a wrong result and a model that just doesn't fit the data very well. But I think I can at least give a warning.

9 (edited by k-ryeng 2010-06-26 21:08:41)

When the R^2>1, something is wrong, so that should at least be one test criterion...