1 (edited by al20878 2011-09-01 19:10:42)

Topic: Why does the Graph installation require Admin rights?

Hi,

I would like to install the program as a "user install", which is allowed on my PC; but after asking about the
language preference, the installer (I tried the current one, 4.3) says it needs admin privileges to continue,
then bails out.  Why?  If it let me specify the destination folder (which we use for user installs), it would
be able to store the files there (NOT in "Program files" but a special "user install" folder).
IIRC, the program does not need to write files to any protected "system" locations, so it should be
able to install w/o the admin rights;  yet it's still not the case.

I'm using Windows 7.

Thanks,
AL

PS.  And BTW, the ReadMe.txt file in the source .ZIP archive opens with a typo in just the 4th word:
"Graph is an appliation"

Post's attachments

Graph.png, 20.97 kb, 452 x 171
Graph.png 20.97 kb, 456 downloads since 2011-09-01 

Re: Why does the Graph installation require Admin rights?

al....
Not real sure if this is what you want, but you can run the installer as an admin by right clicking the .exe file and selecting "Run as administrator" from the list ( about 3rd down ).

Re: Why does the Graph installation require Admin rights?

It is not supposed to require administrator rights. Graph 4.3 was released before Windows 7, but it doesn't require administrator rights under Windows XP so I don't understand why it does under Windows 7. However the beta version of Graph 4.4 does not seem to have any problems installing under a normal user without administrator rights. I  hope to be able to release Graph 4.4 soon.