Topic: Parametric polar functions?

Graph will allow the user to create explicit functions for both cartesian and polar coordinate systems, but will only allow parametric forms for cartesian coordinates. Is there any plan to implement parametric equations for polar coordinates in the future? It would allow curves like the following:

Involute of a circle:

radius=a*sec(t)
theta=tan(t)-t

Where t is the parameter.

Re: Parametric polar functions?

I actually never considered parametric polar functions, so I don't have any plans to support them. Are they common? I don't think I ever seen them before, but I might consider adding support for them in the future.

I certainly don't think I'd call them common, but they are quite useful in some applications.

Of course, you can actually implement them as a Cartesian parametric function using the identities:

x(t)=radius(t)*cos(theta(t))
y(t)=radius(t)*sin(theta(t))

Then again, you could implement any of the other types of functions using the Cartesian parametric function. My suggestion was more in interest of the completeness of the function choices list than to actually add functionality. Cartesian functions are available in both explicit and parametric types...so why not polar as well?

James wrote:

Cartesian functions are available in both explicit and parametric types...so why not polar as well?

Because no one has asked for it before.