1 (edited by AD-Clark 2011-07-04 14:59:01)

Topic: Printing to Printer through Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro

I downloaded and installed Graph 4.4 Beta on my Win 7 system yesterday. I used the utility to examine the hyperbolas that result with those temperatures which are multiples of Farenheit in Celsius and vice-versa. I also loaded and printed some of the example graphs that were provided.

I have an issue when I print to my laser printer through Adobe Acrobat. Due to its being the Pro edition, it enables PDF generation through any program as default, rather than the printer directly. However, when I use the Print function of Graph, the resulting PDF file that I examine in lieu of Print Preview is truncated. Also, when I send it to my laser printer, it prints exactly the way Adobe sees it. However, this means that more than half of the positive X-axis and the negative Y-axis are missing. The Butterfly example as a result of Print (to PDF) is attached.

Also, the "preview" window in the Print box is also showing the axes skewed toward the right.

If I save the graph as an image in PDF, the result is the screen coverage, but the resolution is much poorer, such that pixelation is very pronounced and the text is blurry, even though I've doubled the font size and used a different font.

The program has been very helpful in my project to investigate hyperbolas in a realistic context, but I would be interested in any possibility of better reproduction of the graphs. Thank you in advance for your consideration.

Post's attachments

Attachment icon Butterfly-TRUNCATED.pdf 40.5 kb, 524 downloads since 2011-07-04 

Re: Printing to Printer through Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro

AD-Clark wrote:

Also, the "preview" window in the Print box is also showing the axes skewed toward the right.

You can try to select Center on page in the Print dialog and decrease Scale to a value where the graph fits on the page.

AD-Clark wrote:

If I save the graph as an image in PDF, the result is the screen coverage, but the resolution is much poorer, such that pixelation is very pronounced and the text is blurry, even though I've doubled the font size and used a different font.

You can use the Options button in the Save as image dialog to increase the resolution.

Re: Printing to Printer through Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro

Thank you, sir. However, in spite of trying several settings for Save as Image, the results did not improve. The images were as pixelated as computer graphics from the 1980's with blurry text, also.

Printing to the "PDF Printer" will now show appropriate coverage of my plots by use of both CENTER ON PAGE and SCALE (set at about 65%). This printing method also allows zooming in at 1600% and higher with perfectly smooth curved lines and clear text once I bring the plot into Adobe Acrobat or any other program that can accept PDF files.

Since the PRINT TO PDF feature now gives me excellent results, I am agreeable to declaring this topic closed. Thanks again for your consideration.