Topic: bug in relations + derivative request

Ivan,
In the beta version, the relation (x+y)^2<=x^2+2*x*y+y^2 causes graph to crash.  Of course the given relation is true period.

Why not be able to differentiate the function integrate?  "Usually", the integrand g is continuous and so for example integrate(g(s),s,0,x) has derivative g.  Similarly for differentiable functions as limits of integration and also when the integrand is a function of both s and x.  Aside, if the integrand is not continuous, the integrate function may well be wrong anyway; for example the graph of integrate(floor(s),s,0,x) is clearly wrong.

Re: bug in relations + derivative request

Unfortunately it looks like a bug in Window that is not easy work around, but I will try to see what I can do about it.

Why do you want to differentiate the integrate function? The reason Graph does not support it is that it is a little difficult to do in a generic way, i.e. how do you differentiate integrate(g(s), s, -x^2, sin(x)).

As one use, it seems to me that one should be able to draw tangent lines for a graph involving integrate.
Assuming relatively mild conditions on the functions involved, of course the derivative of integrate(g(s,x),s,u(x),v(x)) is integrate(g2(s,x),s,u(x),v(x))+g(v(x),x)*v'(x)-g(u(x),x)*u'(x).  I don't know how you've implemented derivatives, but this shouldn't be too much of an extension.

You are of course right. I did not investigate that very well. It is the most difficult function to differentiate but I will try to get it implemented. It should be possible.

I have now implemented support for differentiating the integrate function. You can find it in the latest beta version (build 499). Let me know how it works.

Ivan,
Thanks for the rapid response.  I tested the derivative of several integrate functions and also drew several tangent lines.  It all looks good.  Of course, as always there could be hidden bugs lurking, but I doubt it.
JohnG