Deprecated: Required parameter $errors follows optional parameter $type in /customers/5/9/f/padowan.dk/httpd.www/forum/include/parser.php on line 524

Topic: Does not zoom in on my mouse position

For my last two computers and for the Beta version I just downloaded, Graph doesn't zoom in on the position of my mouse when I role the mouse wheel.

The problem is more severe zooming out than zooming in. Its not an occasional burp but constant. I simple can't zoom that way at all because of it.
Here are some results starting with -10 <x>10 -10<y> 10 (I start a new page each time)
mouse start (x,y)>  Mouse after one mouse wheel zoom in click (x,y)
Zooming in
(0.01,1.96) > (about 0, about 3.7) I just noticed that the position indicator for the mouse in the lower right continues to reads the right position.! It corrects after I move the mouse.
(-1.01,-1.99)>(-2,-3.8)Next mouse click>(-2.8,-5.3)Next mouse click>(-3.6,-6.7)

Here are some results all starting with -100 <x>100 -100<y> 100
Zooming in
(10.1,20.2)>(19,39)>(28,55)
(10.1,20.2)>(19,39)>(28,55)>(36,70)>(?,85)
Zooming out
(10.2,20.2)>(12,22)>(14,25)>(15,29)
(-10.2,-20.2)>()>()>(-15,-29)

If you need more info let me know. (Windows7,64 bit)(But it didn't work with other versions as well)
Thanks for your time writing this program, its good.
I didn't realize until recently that you were still actively improving it because an intro type webpage had a time stamp of 2007.

Re: Does not zoom in on my mouse position

I am a little unsure what the problem is. Maybe it would help if you wrote what you expected.

3 (edited by dave1235 2012-07-10 05:36:44)

Graph doesn't zoom in on the position of my mouse when I role the mouse wheel. The position that I am trying to zoom in on  moves.
For example if I start with the axis set to -10 <x>10 -10<y> 10 and the origin at the center and I try to zoom in on the coordinate (1,2) the origin move toward the bottom left but so does the coordinate (1,2).

I guess I should have given the big picture first.

I attached a graph showing an example point series. It also has a bit more explanation.

Post's attachments

Attachment icon Zooming bug point series.grf 1.53 kb, 516 downloads since 2012-07-10 

It seems to work as expected. When you zoom with the mouse wheel, the position at the cursor will be placed at the center. But you are right that the coordinate shown in the status bar is not updated. I will fix that.

I have taken the opportunity to improve the zoom functionality. I think it now works as you originally expected in the beta version of Graph 4.4.1:
http://padowan.dk/graph/DownloadBeta.php

Works perfectly here.

You said... "It seems to work as expected. When you zoom with the mouse wheel, the position at the cursor will be placed at the center."

So that's what it was doing smile
So had I known to move my mouse to the center of the screen after the first click of the mouse wheel I would have been alright.

I really like this new method because you have more control and if you want the part you're zooming in on at the center of the screen you can just drag it there.

I read a few days ago a post where a guy suggested the option of using the right mouse button to enable dragging of the canvas, and you replied that you would consider it but you felt that there were already enough ways to drag the canvas. I’m also a big fan of right clicking to drag the canvas because it’s so quick and easy. (Some programs like Inkscape have you press the middle mouse button.) With this new zooming method, such a feature would be even more “handy dandy”.

Let me take this opportunity to thank you again for the time you've spent writing this program. I personally use the animation feature quite a bit.

Thanks again
   Dave

dave1235 wrote:

I really like this new method because you have more control and if you want the part you're zooming in on at the center of the screen you can just drag it there.

Yes, I wonder why I never thought about making it this way before. Well, better late than never. smile

dave1235 wrote:

I’m also a big fan of right clicking to drag the canvas because it’s so quick and easy. (Some programs like Inkscape have you press the middle mouse button.) With this new zooming method, such a feature would be even more “handy dandy”.

In case you didn't know, if you hold down Shift you can move the coordinate system with the left mouse button. The reason I am not happy to use the right mouse button is that it is already used for showing the context menu. But I can probably let you use the middle button without any problems.

Ivan Johansen wrote:

Yes, I wonder why I never thought about making it this way before.

Well... as you know, I thought it was a bug smile

Ivan Johansen wrote:

But I can probably let you use the middle button without any problems.

That would be great.  I'll tell akrutsinger (The guy that posted the right click request) if or when you do.
Actually, this is a big enough deal, maybe I'll make a post concerning the zooming changes to the Beta version.

Thanks again
  Dave