Topic: Error 64 difficulty

I'm attempting to enter a relatively simple function in the "standard function" input & get an "Error 64" pop-up screen.  The function "this time" is:  x / x(x - 2)(x - 3).

I've copied & pasted it is as I typed in into Graph 4.3.

It's a relatively simple function but, I have received the same error 64 before with other functions, also.

I don't see what I'm typing in incorrectly.  I'm almost ashamed to ask for help; I feel I should be able to see what I'm doing wrong, myself, but I can't.  Where I am I committing my error?  What is it that I'm not understanding?  There is some "rule" that I'm not understanding

I'm just performing simple arithmetic/algebraic operations that include grouping symbols.  It seems to me that I have graphed numerous similar functions with Graph 4.3 in the past that have actually "displayed".  I can't see the difference or the distinction between the ones that do display & the ones that don't.

I tried "x / x*(x - 2)*(x - 3)" but, what was displayed was essentially "(x - 2)(x - 3)".  & this worried me because, I'm getting a result that is/was totally unexpected ... & if that happens ONCE, it could happen AGAIN, when I'm less aware of a problem, & cause a lot of obvious problems.

I expanded the denominator, obtaining x/(x^3-5x^2 + 6x)" & this graphed & display just fine.  Is there some "expanded works" but "factored doesn't" rule that I'm just not aware of?  I would be difficult to believe it that's true but, I'd like to know exactly what the situation is.

Thanx for the help, in advance.

ARBMM7

Re: Error 64 difficulty

Graph divides before multiplying, i.e. the divisor of the fraction must be in parentheses:

x/(x*(x-2)*(x - 3))

Otherwise you would be graphing (x/x)*(x - 2)*(x - 3) = (x - 2)*(x - 3)

Re: Error 64 difficulty

The reason your original function doesn't work is that you cannot write x(2). You can compare it with sin(2) where sin is a function that takes 1 parameter. But x is not a function so it doesn't take any parameters. So instead of trying to call a function x, you want to multiply x*(2).

Michael has explained why you need an extra parenthesis.