Topic: Zoom so that axes are scaled differently but the grid is square

Is is possible to create a zoom feature or plugin that will adjust the window so that the x-axis and y-axis are scaled differently, but the grid-lines would still appear square? As if it were to be done on physical graph paper. For instance, if I wanted to scale my x-axis by 1s, and my y-axis by 2s, but still have the grid-lines square.

Re: Zoom so that axes are scaled differently but the grid is square

Yes, I believe it is possible to make a plugin that can do that. However It should be rather easy to do manually.

1. Select Zoom|Square to scale the axes equally.
2. In the Edit|Axes dialog under y-axis, you can now add *2 to Minimum and Maximum.
3. You may want to change the Tick unit and Grid unit to be twice the value as the x-axis.

This can of course be implemented in a plugin.

Post's attachments

Attachment icon Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 24.19.35.png 101.09 kb, 5 downloads since 2017-09-24 

Thanks! This is very useful. How do you call the ZoomSquare function in a plugin? I was looking for it in the scripting documentation, and couldn't find it.

Thanks,
Marco

That was a good question. It actually took me some time to figure out. You can use to call Zoom|Square:

Graph.Form1.ZoomSquareAction.Execute()

Can anyone help write a plugin that would do Zoom so that the grid lines are square, by doing the following:

Graph.Form1.ZoomSquareAction.Execute()
    Graph.Axes.yAxis.Max = Graph.Axes.yAxis.Max*Graph.Axes.yAxis.GridUnit/Graph.Axes.xAxis.GridUnit
    Graph.Axes.yAxis.Min = Graph.Axes.yAxis.Min*Graph.Axes.yAxis.GridUnit/Graph.Axes.xAxis.GridUnit
    Graph.Redraw()

I'm trying to modify the Circle plugin (with my limited coding skills) to do this, but I'm having no luck. I wish I knew how to create plugins beyond butchering the code of the included plugins.

Thanks!

This seems to just do the same as Zoom|Square. I have attached a plugin file that adds it to the Plugins menu.

Post's attachments

Attachment icon SpecialZoom.py 413 b, 3 downloads since 2017-12-06 

7 (edited by marcorainaldi 2017-12-07 04:56:43)

Thanks Ivan! I greatly appreciate your response! I hope that one day I can write Plugins as quickly as you do.

The plugin you created does something different than what Zoom Square does.

Example:
Set the axes settings to the following:
Xmin -10       Ymin -50
Xmax 10        Ymax 50
Tick Unit 1     Tick Unit 10
Grid Unit 1     Tick Unit 10
Show Gridlines   Show Gridlines

If you Zoom Square at this point, the resulting Graph won't be the same as if you run the Plugin at this point.