Topic: Introduction Tutorial?

I just download and installed this product. I have a very basic knowledge of Calculus and have started a review of material from my courses. I am having great difficulty graphing functions. I have been able to graph a linear function as two functions one using Dots and another using Lines producing the correct straight line graph. Is this normal practice? Creating two functions one to show points and another to show the line? I have had no luck getting other graphs, such as any power functions. Sometimes dots show, but no lines.

I have read the manual but it provides no examples. Can someone walk me through the process of entering power functions and getting a graph for them? Are there any tutorials available?

Matt

Re: Introduction Tutorial?

Ok. I was entering all sorts of unnecessary data. I placed the power function in the function equation box hit OK and viola. Thanks.

Matt

I am glad you figured it out. There are some example files installed with Graph. I have been planning to write a tutorial for many years, but unfortunately I never seem to get it done.

What is the nomenclature for x to the 2/3 power. How do you write a power function such as x squared or x to the third root. In Open Office x squared would be x**2. So how do you write : x to the 2/3 power times the quantity (x-2) squared?

One way would be to write: f(x)=x^(2/3) * sqr(x-2)
You can find a list of functions and operators in the help:
http://www.padowan.dk/doc/english/ListOfFunctions.html