Topic: Axis

Hello,

In a future version could you consider to add a new functionalityt axis formatting:

Sometimes it is necessary to show the negative axis in place of positive. I prepared an example to be more clear.

Note: I made the tarnslation but it has to be revised... I will fix it then send to you.

Post's attachments

Suggestion for negative axis formatting.jpg, 17.24 kb, 455 x 370
Suggestion for negative axis formatting.jpg 17.24 kb, 695 downloads since 2010-08-30 

Re: Axis

I admit I don't understand the need for negative axes, but I will take a look at it and implement it if it is not too difficult.

I really need it if it is possible, because I use Graph to see what I get from my experiments and it is better to show the negative axis in place of positive. This makes life easier to compare the two regions.

Briefly, Graph is basically a fitting and demonstration tool for me. I use it for this purpose. If I knew how to program I would have added may functionalities to Graph. Unfortunately I do not.

Some of the ideas are to letting the spreadsheets make calculations to have log or sqrt of the value in another Y1 axis so you can see Y2 axis as log or etc

To add a fitting functionality letting us to choose a range of value from the spreadsheet, so we can fit only a ceartain part of our graph. This would have been excellen to have in graph.

For Microsoft it is possible to add grf files as object but for Openoffice.org it is not possible and it is very sad because I am trying to migrate to Openoffice.org to support it.

To be able to add the x and y axis names and comments and units at the first 3-4 lines of the spreadsheet is another idea.

Adding a scientific calculator might be another nice option

Even though we do not have these, Graph is still excellent. Thank you one more time for developping it.

Dilek wrote:

I really need it if it is possible, because I use Graph to see what I get from my experiments and it is better to show the negative axis in place of positive. This makes life easier to compare the two regions.

I will see what I can do, but don't expect anything soon.

Dilek wrote:

Some of the ideas are to letting the spreadsheets make calculations to have log or sqrt of the value in another Y1 axis so you can see Y2 axis as log or etc

I have been considering the possibility to add more axes, but it is rather low on my priority list.

Dilek wrote:

To add a fitting functionality letting us to choose a range of value from the spreadsheet, so we can fit only a ceartain part of our graph. This would have been excellen to have in graph.

Can't you just copy only the values you want to fit into Graph?

Dilek wrote:

For Microsoft it is possible to add grf files as object but for Openoffice.org it is not possible and it is very sad because I am trying to migrate to Openoffice.org to support it.

Actually it is possibly, but you have to use Paste special instead of Paste in OpenOffice.org.
It does seem to have some limitations though.

Dilek wrote:

To be able to add the x and y axis names and comments and units at the first 3-4 lines of the spreadsheet is another idea.

I am considering the possibility to add comments

Dilek wrote:

Adding a scientific calculator might be another nice option

I think this will be added to one of the next versions.

Dilek wrote:

Can't you just copy only the values you want to fit into Graph?

I am processing lat least 16 data each day with the required calculations each graph takes a lot of my time in that way. And I have 360 to 420 raws each time it is hard to find the range manually.

Dilek wrote:

Actually it is possibly, but you have to use Paste special instead of Paste in OpenOffice.org.
It does seem to have some limitations though.

I tried but I was not able to do it. Could you explain in detail? I copied the grf file and went to OOO but there was no paste function for this copy process...

Besides, we are not able to select all the functions or graphs in one grf file at a time, because I trid this way too.

First, choose Edit|Copy image in Graph, then chose Edit|Paste special... in OpenOffice.